Deposit return scheme - Consultation
The Scottish Government and Zero Waste Scotland want to hear your views on the deposit return scheme which is due to be introduced in Scotland.
Have your say and tell us what you think would work best for Scotland.
Key factors in creating a deposit return scheme
After looking at different deposit return schemes around the world, the Scottish Government and Zero Waste Scotland has identified a number of different factors that play an important role. These are:
- What materials will be collected
- What types of products will have a deposit on them
- How we measure success and effectiveness
- Where you will be able to get the deposit back
- How the scheme will be paid for
- How the scheme is communicated so everyone understands it
- How to prevent fraud in the system
- How much the deposit should be
- What infrastructure to put in place, and the logistics involved
- How to create additional benefits from the scheme
- Who owns the system
- How the system is regulated
To enable people responding to the consultation to get a feel for how these factors could combine to create different deposit return scheme options for Scotland, 4 examples have been developed featuring different approaches to these factors.